Health Benefits at a Glance:
Zinc can support the aging immune defense, contributing to countering age-related decreases of immune system functions in the body. Zinc is difficult for the body to absorb, but Zinc Caps High Potency packs 50 milligrams of zinc in one capsule to ensure higher zinc availability in the human body.
Why it Works:
Zinc supports your body’s natural immune defenses, but research has shown that zinc deficiency is widespread, especially with older people [1-4]. Simultaneously, zinc is also a key component of vital hormones and supports protein and DNA synthesis, insulin production, and thyroid and bone metabolism. A deficiency of zinc may contribute to age-related impairment of the immune function, or immunosenescence [1,3] as well as having a negative effect on all of the above-mentioned processes.
Moreover, zinc is also a component of a bodily antioxidant, which can help protect your body against free radicals, which damages cells.
Scientists have found that zinc supplementation can support the aging immune system, and promote normal inflammatory and antioxidant responses [1,4-6]. This is especially crucial for older people, whose immune system may naturally undergo age-related changes.
Although scientific research indicates that zinc supplements can contribute to normal health, absorption of zinc in the body can, however, be limited . Therefore, Life Extension® has developed a low-cost formulation combining the well-established, enhanced bioavailability of OptiZinc® with zinc citrate which provides a potent 50-milligram dose of zinc in a single capsule.
The Science Behind the Product:
OptiZinc® is a bioavailable form of zinc . It is absorbed more easily than traditional zinc since it consists of one the most absorbable forms of zinc known as zinc methionate (methionine) . Scientific studies show that it results in higher blood levels compared to other forms of zinc .
Besides the participation of zinc in the immune system, zinc also has other important functions. Zinc is an essential component of superoxide dismutase, one of your body’s most powerful natural antioxidants . Additionally, zinc can stimulate the activity of about 300 enzymes that can promote biochemical reactions in the body . It also plays a role in protein and DNA synthesis and is an integral component of vital hormones.
Furthermore, it also plays a role in insulin production, as well as thyroid and bone metabolism [9-13]. It can also promote cardiovascular and neurological health and helps maintain normal vision with elderly people [9-12,14].
How to Use:
- Take one (1) capsule daily with or without food, or as recommended by a healthcare practitioner
Read original source
- Immun Ageing. 2009 Jun 12;6:9.
- Exp Gerontol. 2008 May;43(5):452-61.
- Nutr Rev. 2010 Jan;68(1):30-7.
- Biogerontology. 2006 Oct-Dec;7(5-6):429-35.
- Rejuvenation Res. 2008 Feb;11(1):227-37.
- Exp Gerontol. 2008 May;43(5):370-7.
- J Anim Sci. 1992 Jan;70(1):178-87.
- J Trace Elem Med Biol. 2010 Apr;24(2):89-94.
- Clin Interv Aging. 2013;8:741-8.
- Br J Nutr. 2006 Oct;96(4):752-60.
- Biofactors. 2006;27(1-4):231-44.
- Pak J Biol Sci. 2009 Jan 15;12(2):134-9.
- Available at: http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/ Zinc-Health Professional/.
- J Nutr. 2005 Sep;135(9):2114-8.