What is cistanche? Cistanche is an ancient Chinese herb. It's been shown to provide neuroprotective and immunomodulatory properties.
Cistanche is a medicinal herb, used in traditional Chinese medicine to support diverse functions, including brain health. Recently, scientists have determined Cistanche's potential for reversing bone loss, and even boosting lifespan.
This research adds to the growing body of evidence that oral intake of Cistanche could promote healthier ageing.
Longevity effects of cistanche
- Cistanche has been shown to significantly boost lifespan
- In one study it extended the average lifespan by as much as 18.9%
- Cistanche has been shown to boost the secretion of growth hormone
- This could impact lifespan since growth hormone declines with age
Cistanche for brain
Cistanche might just be an unsung champion when it comes to supporting brain health.
- Cistanche shows potential in defending the brain from the process of shrinkage
- May help in preventing shrinkage of the hippocampus, in Alzhimer's patients
- A study showed notably improved cognitive performance
- These benefits, to a polyphenol found in cistanche known as echinacoside
- Echinacoside and other bioactive components of cistanche can cross the blood-brain barrier
Once inside, cistanche's anti-inflammatory properties contribute to shielding the brain from the detrimental effects of neuroinflammation.