Digestive enzymes are specialized proteins that help you break down the ingested foods you eat.
Digestive enzymes benefits
It's broken down into nutrients the body needs so you can get the most out of what you eat.
- Digestive enzyme supplements help you to digest your foods with as little discomfort as possible
- As we age, our body produces fewer digestive enzymes
- Without these enzymes, undigested food passes into the colon, causing bloating, gas, and diarrhea
The best digestive enzymes
- Amylase: in saliva, it starts breaking down carbohydrates immediately after the first bite.
- Protease: In the pancreas, breaks down protein into amino acids and peptides (which are smaller groups of amino acids) that your body can then use for a variety of functions.
- Lipase: breaks down fat (lipids) from your diet. Let's continue counting down other key digestive enzymes, many of which you might run across on the label of a digestive enzyme supplement (which typically will combine multiple enzymes, rather than just containing one)
- Alpha-galactosidase: Gas after eating foods like black beans? Alpha-galactosidase is an enzyme that helps make this healthful legume less gassy.
- Cellulase: difficulty digesting after eating a ton of veggies, you might want to supplement with cellulase, which makes it easier to digest the cell walls of plants.
- Hemicellulase: Works similarly to cellulase to help you digest vegetables and fruits.
- Phytase: Another popular enzyme to help you digest plant-based foods.
- Pectinase: Also helps you eat your veggies…with more ease!
- Xylanase: Yet one more digestive enzyme to take if you need help digesting high-fiber foods.
- Lactase: One of the most well-known digestive enzyme supplements, lactase is what allows us to digest lactose, a sugar found in milk and other dairy products that often can give people digestive discomfort or occasional gas.