R-lipoic acid is a powerful antioxidant, a unique compound that plays a crucial role in maintaining mitochondrial health and supporting overall well-being.
Mitochondria are often referred to as the "powerhouses of the cell," responsible for generating energy needed for various cellular functions.
However, over time, mitochondrial function can decline due to oxidative stress and other factors, contributing to the aging process and a range of health issues.
R-lipoic acid benefits
Derived from a natural source, R-lipoic acid is the purest and most biologically active form of alpha-lipoic acid. Its unique structure allows it to easily cross the blood-brain barrier and reach vital organs, enhancing its potential benefits.
This strong antioxidant supports mitochondrial health by:
- Boosts longevity and vitality by scavenging toxic free radicals, saving cells and mitochondria from oxidative harm
- Can regenerate further antioxidants like Vitamin C, E and glutathione, fending off oxidative stress.
- R-lipoic acid has been shown to support healthy glucose metabolism, essential to overall metabolic wellness.
- R-lipoic acid may promote cognitive function and support nervous system health, maintaining mental clarity as you age.
- May reverse and protect against the destructive consequences of diabetes, obesity, heart disease, neurodegeneration.
- It has even been found to reduce signs of aging.
Supplements with R-lipoic acid
Lipoic acid comes in two forms: "R" and "S." The "R" form is the one used by our bodies. Most lipoic acid supplements contain both forms, but newer techniques allow for pure "R" lipoic acid, which is more potent.
A dose of pure "R" lipoic acid has twice the active ingredient compared to typical mixed forms. To get the strongest version, look for the "R" label on the supplement.