Zinc — boost your immune health
Zinc is an essential component of one of the body’s most important natural antioxidants and has been known to help reduce the severity and duration of colds.
The immune benefits of zinc
Many people fail to make sure that their immune-system is always functioning normally. Research has shown that zinc deficiency is widespread, especially with older people. (1-4)
A deficiency of zinc may contribute to age-related impairment of the immune function, or immunosenescence. (1,3)
Take zinc before the cold gets you
The onset of cold and flu season serves as a reminder of the critical importance of maintaining adequate stores of the mineral zinc.
With a preponderance of scientific evidence suggesting that zinc deficiency is common throughout the world, it is all the more important that health-conscious adults take steps to ensure optimal zinc status.
Scientists have found that zinc supplementation can support the aging immune system, and promote normal inflammatory and antioxidant responses (1,4-6).
Efficient zinc supplementation for the immune system: Zinc Caps
- Grungreiff K, Reinhold D. Liver cirrhosis and “liver” diabetes mellitus are linked by zinc deficiency. Med Hypotheses. 2005;64(2):316-7.
- Immun Ageing. 2009 Jun 12;6:9.
- Exp Gerontol. 2008 May;43(5):452-61.
- Nutr Rev. 2010 Jan;68(1):30-7.
- Biogerontology. 2006 Oct-Dec;7(5-6):429-35.
- Rejuvenation Res. 2008 Feb;11(1):227-37.
- Exp Gerontol. 2008 May;43(5):370-7.
Related health topics
- Vitamin D’s winter immune benefits
- NAD+: Stem cell renewal & mitochondria regeneration
- Fight your fatigue with french oak wood
- Why should you supplement with omega-3?
- Why vitamin C is good for you
- Everyday Essentials
- Read all blog posts