Zinc — boost your immune health
Zinc is an essential component of one of the body’s most important natural antioxidants and has been known to help reduce the severity and duration of colds.
A healthy immune system is essential to the health of your body. The onset of cold and flu season serves as a reminder of the critical importance of maintaining adequate stores of the mineral zinc.
While best known for its role in fighting colds and flus, zinc has far-ranging effects on human health, from strengthening the body’s immune defenses to promoting optimal growth and development. 
Many people fail to make sure that their immune-system is always functioning normally. Research has shown that zinc deficiency is widespread, especially with older people [1-4]. A deficiency of zinc may contribute to age-related impairment of the immune function, or immunosenescence [1,3].
Take zinc before the cold gets you
With a preponderance of scientific evidence suggesting that zinc deficiency is common throughout the world, it is all the more important that health-conscious adults take steps to ensure optimal zinc status.
Scientists have found that zinc supplementation can support the aging immune system, and promote normal inflammatory and antioxidant responses [1,4-6].
Zinc supplementation for the immune system: Zinc Caps
1. Grungreiff K, Reinhold D. Liver cirrhosis and “liver” diabetes mellitus are linked by zinc deficiency. Med Hypotheses. 2005;64(2):316-7.
2. Immun Ageing. 2009 Jun 12;6:9.
3. Exp Gerontol. 2008 May;43(5):452-61.
4. Nutr Rev. 2010 Jan;68(1):30-7.
5. Biogerontology. 2006 Oct-Dec;7(5-6):429-35.
6. Rejuvenation Res. 2008 Feb;11(1):227-37.
7. Exp Gerontol. 2008 May;43(5):370-7.
Other blog topics
- Vitamin D’s winter immune benefits
- NAD+: Stem cell renewal & mitochondria regeneration
- Fight your fatigue with french oak wood
- Boost your immune system for the cold season
- Mood: Vitamin D and omega-3 increase serotonin
- Brain: Support your memory and ability to concentrate
- Health basic — start your journey here
- Pink ribbon — how to boost breast health
- How to lower your cholesterol
- Why vitamin C is good for you
- Improve endurance exercise performance and recovery
- A healthy prostate
- Could you use a little more energy?